Monday, September 18, 2006

Full Weekend = No Time for Blogging...

So a few things happened this past weekend in my life, and I will share them with you in a brief synopsis of each:

1. I Became an Uncle Again!!!
Okay, this actually took up none of my time except for a brief phone call to my sis to make sure everything went fine. The answering machine assured me that it did. His name is Nathaniel Lewis ____, and he is my fifth nephew, 7th neph/niece overall! Yeah Hughes Clan!!! Weighing in at 7 lbs, 3 ounces, and 19.5 inches long and balder than Mr. Clean, he is the second addition to my youngest sister's family.

2. Seafood and I Had An Argument
At about 4 a.m. on Saturday morning, I woke up with a killer stomach ache. It was gone by about 10 a.m. while pounding away at shingles on my father's roof (I was more of a lovely assistant than an actual construction worker--I hate heights). But from about 4 to 6:30, my stomach wasn't upset or roiling; it HURT. Rich wanted to run me to the emergency room, but I declined. You see, last night (Friday night), we were over at the in-laws and had a freakin' fantastic feast! Salmon with butter, garlic, and a host of other herbs and spices, shrimp cocktail, crab casserole, baked potatoes, green beans, and chocolate-pudding pie for desert. It was the mother of all dinners! (No offense, Mom!) All that along with three glasses of wine, and my stomach was like, "Yo! Uh-huh, I haven't adapted to pizza and hot dogs and Iced Tea just so you could whack me upside the head with all this Omega-3 amino acid crap! I'm on strike!" Needless to say, this prevented me from being quite as lovely an assistant while working on my father's front porch (losing sleep to a rebellious body part will do that), but I made do until...

3. I am NOT a Touchy-Feely Person
But apparently my mother's (Swedish?) neighbor is! I've met Mary a handful of times, she is one of the few people that I think live up in the Pocono suburb my parents inhabit year-round. She stopped by this past Saturday as we were eating lunch between building my father's new front porch. She walks up and her and mom and yip-yapping (Mary more so than Mom), and Mary is standing right behind me. She is yapping away and places her hands on my shoulders. Then, not only does she have her hands there, she begins rubbing my neck and shoulders!!! FOR AT LEAST FIVE MINUTES!!! I felt like saying, "Listen, lady, I know you're older than Jesus, but since I don't even know you, and I'm not this touchy-feely with even my best of friends, let alone Rich, stop molesting me!" But I didn't. Luckily it ended when Mary had to feel up another neighbor.

Granted, I have a large "personal space" area. If you are within ten feet of me, you are too close, and I will adjust where my feet are placed accordingly. But when you're trapped in the middle of a table and old women decide to take advantage, what's a homo to do?

And, perhaps it's me, but are any of you the touchy-feely type? Why or why not?

4. Chores, chores, chores...
So on Sunday I managed to get my lawn mowed, the laundry done, the dishes clean, and still watch This Week with George Stephanopoulos. I am that good. (okay, okay, Rich helped!) But between all that and the premiere of the Amazing Race (which, being the slut for TV that I am, couldn't pass up), it's a small miracle I'm here at work this Monday. Of course, as every day last week, I will have OT tonight, which means there will be no thoughtful, insightful (always debatable), or otherwise controversial posts for another few days unless something supernatural happens to the work flow here at work. So, until next time...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate touchy-feely..... err.. unless it's a cutie-cutie guy, then I like MORE touchy-feely! :)

Kel said...

It's about time that sister of yours gave birth! :) Congrats, even though you had nothing to do with it. (Men are always taking the credit!)

Hmmm...all that OT is because of...? I hope it's not because you're short one person. :(

Dar said...

Congrats Uncle! Can't wait to hear more babysitting stories.

Tossing chocolate pudding (or anything dairy) on top of fish is a bad idea. Maybe you just need your salmon RAW. Sushi addict here.

I'd say I'm touchy, but not feely. I lay hands on arms or shoulders, but don't linger. Definitely no rubbing. For the most part, an arm's length distance is far enough, but I don't want to be able to smell what you had for lunch! Especially hot dogs! Eeew!

Ergo said...

I hate touchy-feely..... err.. unless it's a cutie-cutie guy, then I like MORE touchy-feely! :)