Thursday, October 8, 2009

Curing Lust with Gluttony Never Tasted So Good...

It could just be me--after all, having never been categorized as "slender" even in my best of days--it just seems like we've lost sight of The Big Picture. No, no, not the one hanging over your couch in the living room (a framed print of "The Lady of Shallot" in my case...).

Supposedly (and if I bothered to look it up, I could easily say "Factually"), we are becoming fatter and fatter. From all the news headlines, you'd think we rivaled the hippo for sheer girth! (And some of you do!)

Could this be because "gluttony" has become a not-so-sin sin? Having never been Catholic--but well aware as gluttony's status as a Top Seven on the sin-o-matic--I can't say for sure how much emphasis was placed on young minds in regards to this deadly humdinger as opposed to the other six (Lust, Greed, Sloth, etc.)--perhaps gluttony took a back seat due to all the inter-Catholic lust between priests and altar boys? One can only haphazard guesses at this point I suppose...

Realize, please, that I'm just ranting to fill the empty time I suddenly find myself with at work... I suppose this could be considered "Sloth" if I didn't find it so damn time-consuming, but that's another one of the deadly's that seems to have gone the way of the 30-inch waistline... I imagine they're related--we're too slothful to do anything but eat, which in turn makes us more slothful, and while it also may not make us lust less, it certainly does a world of good for people lusting us, and therefore serves some purpose in the great scheme of things... After all, isn't it the "sexual sins" most of us seem so concerned with?

I mean, if thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, it's a hell of a lot easier to keep such a command if she looks more like Rosalie Bradford than Jessica Rabbit, am I right? Could it be that toning down rhetoric on gluttony is really a right-wing conspiracy to control the sexual urges of the nation? To end all wanton physical pleasure in an orgy of Twinkies and after-church social potlucks?

Maybe? Golden arches? Golden Gates?

Forest for the trees?

Nah...

No comments: