Monday, July 28, 2008

And the Lie of "Culture of Life" Continues its Blatant Hypocrisy...


President Bush on Monday approved the execution of an Army private, administration officials said. It was the first time in over a half-century that a president has affirmed a death sentence for a member of the U.S. military.

With his signature from the Oval Office, Bush said yes to the military's request to execute Ronald A. Gray, said the officials, who revealed his decision only on grounds of anonymity. Gray had been convicted in connection with a spree of four murders and eight rapes in the Fayetteville, N.C., area over eight months in the late 1980s while stationed at Fort Bragg.

[...]

The death penalty was outlawed between 1972 and 1984, when President Reagan reinstated it.
I'm not saying Ronald (Gray, not Reagan...) didn't do some very brutal and heinous crimes (both Gray and Reagan...)--far from it, it wouldn't be too far off the mark to call him more than a bit inhumane.

But why is it okay for a government body to justify its own murders?

Could you be the one to pull the proverbial switch? Would you be the one?

Then... what makes you any better of a human being than Mr. Ronald Gray?

3 comments:

fcsuper said...

This is where my Extreme Centralism comes out. I am neither for nor against Death Penalty. In my view, as long as the trial has been proper and fair (an assumption, I know), capital punishment seems reasonable in this case if that is what is deemed appropriate by the people and its state (assuming it is used properly). But then again, I assume we all get second, third, forth, fifth, sixth, seventh, etc chances to make things right. And even if this isn't the case, what's the difference anyway? Either what we do as individuals matters or it doesn't. In this case, that individual's actions hurt a lot of people, so matters more to them than to me. However, I'm not commenting to debate or change anyone's minds. Just giving another POV.

Anonymous said...

My dad's name is Ronald Grey. Interesting.

I am blatantly against the death penalty and war, so I'm not even going to get on my soapbox with this one... You should have heard the dinner convo tonight at your parents, trying to convince Dad not to vote for John McBush...

Ann Hughes said...

My dad's name is Ronald Grey. Interesting.

I am blatantly against the death penalty and war, so I'm not even going to get on my soapbox with this one... You should have heard the dinner convo tonight at your parents, trying to convince Dad not to vote for John McBush...