Thursday, July 27, 2006

Ann: Good mother, good sister-in-law;
Andrea Yates: Bad mother, child killer...

UPDATED: see bottom of post...

Thanks to my dear, thoughtful sis-in-law, she saw the new logo there on the right, "W: Worst President Ever." I liked it so much, I of course added it, but then I linked it to a video I think every American would enjoy... Well, at least, 69 to 72% of them...

Which leads me to ask, who are these dumb-fuck 31% that actually approve of Bush dry-fucking our country?

So click on the pic, wait for the video to load, and enjoy!
Andrea Yates is a tragic human being, another victim of post-partum depression (which Tom Cruise thinks is a crock [another type of dangerous fundie]), but we must also remember, why did she feel she had to kill her children? To send them to heaven. To save them from hell...

I feel bad for the crazy stupid bitch. But not bad enough to lose sleep. Five innocent lives were lost. Five innocent lives, and she blames it on Satan and God...

And she's not the only one.

Deanna Laney said God told her to beat her children to death...

Dena Schlosser sawed off her 10-month-olds arms... any guesses why? God told her to.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying religion is to blame for these tragedies.... But people should take note.

Did you know every year over 600 mothers kill their own children?

Religion and spirituality can bring out the best or bring out the worst...

All I ask of you fundies is to say to yourselves, "Am I bring out the best or the worst by the words coming out of my mouth?"

If fact, I think we should all ask that of ourselves...

Remember the childhood rhyme? Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me? If only it were true! Words are one of the most powerful ways of communicating we have. Words stick around in our minds for decades, long after the speaker, the intent, and the emotion behind them have long disappeared...

Are my words helping or hurting?

I hope they help... I hope I can reach out to people who are hurt and searching for help, and to let them know they are not alone in this world... There is help, if only you ask... Asking for help may be the best words you could ever utter... They may just save a life...
I'm going to add a new category on the right, links to sights that offer help for things such as depression, suicide, abuse of substances...

If you know of a great site that you or someone you know has been helped by, let me know! Send me the link via e-mail or in a comment...

Maybe, just maybe, we can all help each other out, regardless of our spiritual take on life...

UPDATE:

So is there a correlation between fundamentalism and psychotic baby-killer moms?

Here is an article I found from 2004 that says while there may not be a direct correlation per se, there is some type of connection that needs further study...

[...]

"Most of the people in nut houses are religious because most Americans are religious," said Rodney Stark, a social sciences professor at Baylor University. "We know what causes schizophrenia and it isn't going to church. It's biochemical."

But some experts suggest mental illness is harder to detect and treat in faiths more inclined to attribute odd behavior to Satan and trust prayer over medicine.

"They're not seeing this as a mental illness. They're seeing it as the person having demons, perhaps, or a sin problem or not being spiritually fulfilled," said Roger Olson, a theology professor at Baylor's Truett Seminary.

[...]

In a recent study of 39 Ohio and Michigan women – all acquitted by reason of insanity in the deaths of their children since the 1970s – about 15 had religious-themed delusions, said Dr. Susan Hatters Friedman, a psychiatry fellow at Case Western Reserve University.

Another study of 56 Michigan mothers referred for psychiatric evaluations from 1974-1976 after killing their children found nearly a fourth of them experienced religious delusions, said study co-author Dr. Catherine Lewis, an assistant professor at the University of Connecticut Health Center.

She said nearly all the women were Christian and many attended fundamentalist churches, but cautioned against assumptions.

"What isn't clear is what's causing what," she said. "Is the church causing people to develop these feelings or are people with these feelings more likely to gravitate toward a fundamentalist church?"
I would think this bears further study...

10 comments:

Dar said...

Wow, I had alot of catching up to do...you've been posting away! Having tons of fun in the sun over here and got behind. Took me forever to catch up on you!

Great post. My 13 year old has no idea what a REAL psycho is...she should stop calling me that.

I've noticed the trend with depression and fundamentalism...if one could call it a "trend". I wonder how many non-fundie moms (or dads) kill their children? You always hear of crazy boyfriends shaking babies to death, but they are usually aggravated drunks or addicts...I don't recall ever reading about any men who claimed God told them to do it.

So why is it always the women? Are female fundies more dangerous than male fundies?

Jason Hughes said...

Hey, Dar! Welcome back!

Just call me Typy Typerson :)

So softball was good?

I will see if I can fnd any studies done with some type of correlation between fundamentalism and women's depression...

I have no idea if there's a link between them or not, although I think this stuff is just a fluke, or coincidental...

Either way, it's just plain sad...

Anonymous said...

Here is a link you can add that has really helped me tremendously:

http://www.biblegateway.com/

Thanks!

Jason Hughes said...

I shoud clarify, I suppose...

Links for help with real problems...

Not links to mythological story books...

Thanks anyway...

Jason Hughes said...

Is that really you, Mom?

Or someone pretending, like a sneaky fundie or something...

Anonymous said...

hello jason!! :) from your mom again! i pray andrea yates will get the help she needs. and it is easy to separtate yourself from people like her when its not personally in your life, but i do pray i will be more aware of people like her and do what i can to help. that might be the only good thing that comes out of this. i don't know if "fundie" women are going to kill more than your "non-fundie" women but i feel some of the "fundie" churches should be more aware of these things and not make the women feel worse than they probably already feel. i raised 5 and raising kids are not for the weak!!! one thing i did think about while listening to my paper (good morning america) ((no comments!!)) i wondered why the so called husband decided to divorce his wife when she might of needed him more than anything in this time in her life!!?? i am sure they had the same promises before God that dad and for him they didn't mean anything when you go through some dark times like this?? now i don't know these people personally and i don't listen or read everything that is out there since i listen to good country music (and not the radio crap) more than anything else and maybe he was a better man than i think of him right now. jason, maybe some of your followers can enlighten me on this, but be kind!! i am still trying to think gay doesn't just mean happy!! :) i love you and i guess you blog can be my other source of news. :) love and prayers

Jason Hughes said...

Comment #6 was my mom--good mom was an imposter (though by default, not on purpose I think)...

Darkmind said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mom said...

hello jason!! :) from your mom again! i pray andrea yates will get the help she needs. and it is easy to separtate yourself from people like her when its not personally in your life, but i do pray i will be more aware of people like her and do what i can to help. that might be the only good thing that comes out of this. i don't know if "fundie" women are going to kill more than your "non-fundie" women but i feel some of the "fundie" churches should be more aware of these things and not make the women feel worse than they probably already feel. i raised 5 and raising kids are not for the weak!!! one thing i did think about while listening to my paper (good morning america) ((no comments!!)) i wondered why the so called husband decided to divorce his wife when she might of needed him more than anything in this time in her life!!?? i am sure they had the same promises before God that dad and for him they didn't mean anything when you go through some dark times like this?? now i don't know these people personally and i don't listen or read everything that is out there since i listen to good country music (and not the radio crap) more than anything else and maybe he was a better man than i think of him right now. jason, maybe some of your followers can enlighten me on this, but be kind!! i am still trying to think gay doesn't just mean happy!! :) i love you and i guess you blog can be my other source of news. :) love and prayers

Jason Hughes said...

Hey, Dar! Welcome back!

Just call me Typy Typerson :)

So softball was good?

I will see if I can fnd any studies done with some type of correlation between fundamentalism and women's depression...

I have no idea if there's a link between them or not, although I think this stuff is just a fluke, or coincidental...

Either way, it's just plain sad...